Sunday, May 8, 2011

Arriving in Chile


We arrived in Chile early this morning after my delayed flight to Atlanta and a ten hour flight during on which I got very little sleep. I sat next to a group of Chilean men and they seemed like very happy, warm-hearted people. After passing through customs, we finally boarded the bus and headed for the hotel. The areas that we drove through on the bus seemed dry with brush-like trees. We also passed by some vineyards and towns with small huts. After arriving in Valparaiso, we went to lunch and walked about the town. I found it very strange that they also celebrate Mother's Day here as I saw advertisements for sales and many women with flowers. Also, I noticed that most of the stores were closed and I wonder if they were because it was Sunday and most Chileans are Catholic, or if it was because it was the middle of the day and they don't open until later. After lunch, we found the infamous McDonalds and walked around the park and along the shoreline. This gave us an opportunity to become familiar with the general Chilean lifestyle by observing the Chileans who were walking around. I noticed that most Chileans have more formal casual wear and they all seem like very happy people. I also noticed that there is a very large population of stray dogs. Overall, I gained a general perception of Chile and of its people so tomorrow I will be able to gain more insight by actually interacting with the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment